TK-12 Day to Day Substitute Teachers
As a substitute teacher for SFUSD, you have the opportunity to do the following:
- Explore different school sites and gain experience working with students at a variety of grade levels.
- Become acquainted with our diverse teams of experienced educators.
- Find the school environment that matches best with your strengths, interests, and teaching philosophy.
- Establish yourself within the district and school community, and forge connections at a school site where you would like to acquire a classroom teaching position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- The substitute is responsible for the full schedule of the regular teacher. This includes the classroom day, study halls, yard duty, and any special duties performed by the absent teacher.
- The substitute is expected to implement the lesson plans for the class to which they are assigned and correct classroom assignments and homework received, as time permits.
- Maintain normal classroom routines and discipline procedures. The responsible administrator should be contacted in case a serious discipline problem arises.
- Leave adequate notes regarding what was accomplished in class, a description of problems that may have occurred and resolutions to said problems, a lesson plan for the next day if applicable, and any other information that may be required by an administrator.
After you are hired:
- Bachelor's degree
- Met the Basic Skills Requirement through:
- Passing score on the California Basic Skills Test; OR
- Minimum ACT scores: 23 in Math, 22 in Reading; OR
- Minimum SAT scores: 550 in Math, 500 in Reading
Learn more about the basic skills requirements here: Basic Skills Requirement Information
Learn more about how to apply for your substitute credential here: Substitute Credential next steps
- Negative TB test administered within 60 days of hire
- Be available for assignments at least once a week, particularly on Mondays and Fridays
- Be flexible and willing to work all SFUSD schools, particularly at our Hard to Staff schools
After you are hired:
- After your application has been screened, you will receive an email from our substitute team with all next steps for hire. This will include an opportunity to RSVP to an onboarding session.
- Employment is contingent upon fingerprint clearance, reference checks, credential compliance, and completion of all necessary hiring paperwork.
- All potential employees will be required to complete the following:
- Fingerprinting/background check
- Verification of authorization to work in the United States
- Negative TB results (within 60 days of hire)
- Official undergraduate and graduate college/university transcripts (official transcripts are transcripts bearing an official signature and/or the embossed seal)
- Apply for substitute permit (full information about applying for your substitute permit here)
Remaining on the Substitute List
To remain on the substitute list, substitute teachers must:
- Work at least one day per week or a minimum of 36 days per school year
- Have a valid and active credential. Employees must renew their credential when expired
- Have a current negative TB test result on file, (updated every 4 years)